Sunday, March 22, 2009

Lasik

I have finally joined the many people who have 20/20 vision without the help of contacts or glasses. Amazing what I've been missing all this time. My eyes are not looking that great right now, but I can see and have no pain. It was not nearly as bad as I expected. One of my friends told me that she could smell her eyes burning when they did the laser. I didn't smell anything.
There was no trouble with slicing my right cornea-I know everyone wants the gory details. My left eye they started and I knew things didn't feel quite right...Dr. Schwartz told them to pull me out and they redid the suction thingy-bob (that's truly the technical term) and started over. The second time was a charm. Then they slid me under the laser machine. The really weird thing was I could see him pull my cornea back and then put it back over my pupil. Then it seemed like he painted it with something green-must have been some type of eye band aid. Of course, this was all after having a valium and numbing-eye drops. I told the nurse/eye tech after that I just needed one Tylenol PM for the ride home...once my eyes started hurting on the way home I took the second one. I went home and slept for at least 5 hours.
When I woke up Andrew and the Orrs were already in bed. The girls had retreated to the loft. I was sitting on the couch and Jennia came over to check out my eyes. I had not looked in the mirror so I had no idea what I looked like. Jennia looked at me and told me I looked like I had been in a fight. I was a little shocked. Steve had failed to mention that to me. When I looked in the mirror I could not believe what my eyes looked like....the entire whites of my eyes were bloody. Real nice, huh? I guess it happens to some of the people that have lasik. It's getting better, but I still look like a vampire. Chuck-Jennia's husband-told me that I look like some character from the Warcraft game when they are in the bloodlust mode. Andrew got up Saturday morning and after studying my eyes for a little bit, told me that I didn't look good.
Today because I felt fine and because I didn't have a back-up plan, I had to teach Sunday school. I started the class by having them all sit in front of me and telling them why my eyes looked like they did. Like most things with kids, it was comical. They wanted a few details and then wanted to make sure my eyes were not going to stay this way...I told them I sure hope not!
So, now I am on a steady diet of eye drops every hour that I am awake. Also, no swimming for a month! I may have to ask about that when I go back in this week....Andrew will get lonely if I don't go down the water slide with him at least a couple times! Plus, it's boring just watching him have all the fun! Time for more eye drops....

1 comment:

Diana said...

Angela I am so jealous. I would love to have Lasik. It sounded pretty painless and except for the bloody eyeballs, it seems like a quick recovery. Maybe, that will have to be on my to-do list when I come back to the states. Sorry I didn't get in touch with you last weekend. The trip was way too short. I barely had time to breathe. But, I will be home all summer. We will have to go for a run!