Tuesday, August 26, 2008

No Plastic Please

After reading a "green" article in our newspaper, I've decided to make an attempt at using less plastic bags. You know....bringing my own tote bag to the store, saving the environment, etc....

Christine and I had to kill some time at Target on Saturday. After getting some necessary items we were checking out. I told the cashier I didn't need a bag. I would just put everything in the bag I brought. She was obviously not a tree hugger. She could not believe that I would let my food items (in plastic containers) touch my other items. I told her it was fine, but she was not happy with me. This use of tote bags may be a little tougher than I thought. I didn't expect such a response from the cashier-honestly, what does it matter to her if the nail polish bottle is touching the cream cheese container?

Anyway...our Target experience was very exciting. For all you Biggest Loser fans out there...we saw Betty Sue! If you are not a fan like our family, Betty Sue was a contestant on the show and the mom of the eventual winner. If I didn't think Christine would have been completely mortified I would have made her stand next to her and taken a picture. She was out shopping with her grandkids (I'm assuming) and still has kept off the weight she lost on the show. The newest series of Biggest Loser is starting in September-Maggie keeps on asking when it's starting again. The kids love to watch the challenges and the weigh-ins.

I also just have to mention that Christine is quite the shopper. Although she has matured, that "I need it, pay" child is still in there. No tantrums about not getting everything she wants though. I did have to draw the line at the Franklin Covey planner. It was a really cute color, but no almost-12 year needs a planner like that. We were in there for an hour and Christine could have probably spent another hour in there!

No comments: